Question:
Why do some people say to thaw frozen meat in cold water, and some say warm water?
Pearl J
2009-07-30 14:14:33 UTC
I'm making meatballs for spaghetti tonight, and I've never used frozen beef before, I've always bought it fresh. I looked up this question, and half of the people answering say to thaw it with cold water, and the other half say warm water. Any reason why? Would it be safe to use warm water?

I have about 3 hours that I can use to thaw this frozen one pound of ground beef. What do you suggest, and WHY?

Thanks!
Ten answers:
2009-07-30 14:37:37 UTC
use cold water because sometimes the warm water can start to cook whatever it is your defrosting and you dont want that.
mark
2009-07-30 14:21:23 UTC
Use tepid water (not hot). The reason not to use hot water is that it may start to cook the meat. Put the meat in a waterproof baggie first. Run the water in a slow stream over the meat while the meat is sitting in a baggie in a bowl in the sink.

You do not have to worry about bacteria if you do the above contrary to the first poster. It should only take 20 minutes or so to thaw. In fact, do not leave your meat in water of any temperature for 2 hours. Thaw the meat so it's thaw or almost thawed and then refrigerate for an hour and it will be completely thawed
?
2009-07-30 22:20:48 UTC
You should cold water to thaw. Grab a bowl, put the meat inside and leave a small stream of water on top.

Warm water will thaw out the outside quicker and may not defrost the inside. Same rule applies to defrosting on the counter top.
Daniel
2009-07-30 15:00:26 UTC
There are only two ways to safely thaw meat. 1, under cold running water. Or in your fridge. Do not use warm or hot water, the temperature of the warm water will allow bacteria to develop. You don't want that.
kelby7670
2009-07-30 15:12:54 UTC
Use running cold water. The running water carries away the heat and the frozen object thaws very fast.
jbee
2009-07-30 14:20:39 UTC
DO NOT use warm water. It is a breeding ground for bacteria and additionally the meat will start cooking a little, which will make your meatballs tough when you cook them for real later on.

Cold water should do the trick in a few hours. Put it in plastic bag (ziploc, etc) and submerge in cold water. Replace the water about every hour with fresh cold water.

Ideally you should thaw in a refrigerator, but seeing as you have limited time...go with cold :-)
2016-12-17 21:15:15 UTC
I do it each and every of the time. the only reason i assume you ought to not is once you would be cooking your meat uncommon by way of bacteria undertaking, yet I generally basically ought to thaw my fowl and once I do, I prepare dinner it each and every of ways by and prepare dinner it immediately after it has thawed. additionally, what i don't comprehend approximately that's: once you're cooking your meat each and every of ways by, are not you cooking out each and every of the bacteria? i assume USDA had to make this a regulation for distributors so as that they'd not distribute uncooked meat that would pass rancid in the previous the sell via date and finally end up harming its purchasers. My wager is it is greater for distributors and for meat that's meant to be fed on at a later date.
The Bear
2009-07-30 14:30:04 UTC
Something else that will help speed up the thawing process is place it on an aluminum tray for a while, thats what all those "miracle" thawing trays are.
Mrs. M
2009-07-30 14:23:19 UTC
Hot Water is your best option, because the heat will help with the thawing process, and hopefully speed it up to where you can break it apart to fit in your pan or skillet.
2009-07-30 14:24:34 UTC
What ibee said!

Hope this helps!

Remember figure skating is better than hockey but it's still koolio!