Question:
How do I cut onions without crying?
Ree
2006-04-03 13:09:56 UTC
How do I cut onions without crying?
21 answers:
ladders_to_fire
2006-04-03 13:13:53 UTC
Cut the onion in half.

Now put it down with the cut surface on the cutting board , and hold it all together with your fingers as you slice it into smaller bits.

The less cut surface area is exposed, the less crying.
jadryn8888
2006-04-03 13:13:43 UTC
Peel and cut onions under running water.

Chop onions near a gas flame.

Or refrigerating onions before chopping.
brendagho
2006-04-03 14:07:21 UTC
Try putting the onion in the freezer for 5 minutes before you cut it. It really works!
cedaliah
2006-04-03 15:45:07 UTC
There's a volatile compound called thiopropanal sulfoxide that is released in the air through the cells in the onion that are damaged when we cut into them. You can either wear goggles as silly as it sounds. Contact lenses. Or you can introduce a flame from either a lit candle or a gas burner..this will oxidize the thiopropanal sulfoxide compound. Hope this helps. :-)
ak222002
2006-04-03 13:21:43 UTC
put them in the fridge before hand

put salt on the onions and around it]

look in yahoo put in stop crying when cutting onions
Imi
2006-04-03 13:20:09 UTC
My solution is a very sharp, thin bladed knife. I clean the onion, wash it with cold water, cut it in half, put one half on the board, keep it tight and cut it so, that every time the blade is out the slices go back together.
gurl_mp
2006-04-03 13:10:31 UTC
cut the onion in half and run it under cold water I heard it works
snowflake
2006-04-03 13:21:25 UTC
Try cutting the head or foot of the onion off and placing one of the ends on your head. (I tried it, it worked)
?
2006-04-03 13:12:47 UTC
Onions depress me too.
MissViolence
2006-04-03 13:25:35 UTC
wear sunglasses! it works for me-also avoid putting your head directly above the onions!
wildbill05733
2006-04-03 13:12:33 UTC
Refrigerate before cutting.
perkedelkentang
2006-04-03 13:18:49 UTC
Put a grain of salt on the back of your tounge or dip your toe in a cold water. It works!!!
amijoj
2006-04-03 15:17:47 UTC
but it in viniger for 2 min and the peel it and cut it
80's_lover
2006-04-03 13:10:26 UTC
Try wearing swim goggles
loveboatcaptain
2006-04-03 15:43:20 UTC
dont breathe it in (thats what makes you cry) or obviously touch your eyes. and if you do open the freezer and put your face in it- all better
M!K3
2006-04-03 13:11:12 UTC
It's natural especialy when it's fresh you just have to do it fast eventually you'll get used to it
camlea_d
2006-04-03 13:12:53 UTC
light a candle,have it near by
coachstrusz
2006-04-03 13:23:30 UTC
use a huge sward and stand way back
missy_mae6
2006-04-03 19:44:03 UTC
breath thru your mouth and open a window~

:c)
cutegal3548
2006-04-03 16:47:38 UTC
goggles