Question:
How can a fillet steak be out of date when some meat is hung for 30 days...?
?
2010-10-07 07:58:55 UTC
Can I hang my own steak on a hook somewhere? What do they do with it? It's not like it's the Medieval times when they cure everything by drowning it in salt...
Five answers:
ahsoasho2u2
2010-10-07 20:11:24 UTC
30 days is curing for ripening.

Anything into another 15 days, out of a cooler, is deterioration.
?
2010-10-07 15:01:48 UTC
The hung meat is kept at a constant temperature and that gives no time for bacteria to grow or thrive. When you buy a steak, it had already been transported to the store, then re-cooled, and bought by you (i'm assuming) and brought home and re-cooled again. This shortens the amount of time the meat can stay good for.

I hope this helped =)
Sugar Pie
2010-10-07 15:04:15 UTC
Yes you can hang your own. In a refrigerated air-chilled cooler w/ constant temps just under 0ÂșC. And I'm pretty sure they're on wire shelves, not an actual hook.

Truth is, a label on a piece of beef is more of a guideline. The fat is very saturated, which means there is a good deal of stability and the fat takes a lot longer to go rancid than chicken or pork.
ckngbbbls
2010-10-07 15:49:00 UTC
they hung meat back in medieval times too.

Here in upper Midwest, you often see a deer carcass hanging for the same reason.

When fall temperatures are quite cool is a good time to do it.

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging

This is an interesting article on this subject.
RON BELSHE~AMERICAN
2010-10-07 15:08:16 UTC
As long as you purchase it before its expiration date and freeze it, its okay.

So it will expire while it's frozen but if you cook it immediately upon thawing your good to go....