Question:
How do Hog's Breath Cafe cook their steak?
2008-02-24 23:58:55 UTC
This was asked about 4 months ago at:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071005144212AAc9rIo

The best answer was:
"It's a whole prime rib that they slow cook for 18 hours, not individual steaks. After the big hunk of prime rib is roasted, they cut off a slab and throw it on the grill for a quick char. They call this their "prime rib steak"
It's so tender because it's not really steak. It's a big prime rib roast."

This was a pleasant enough answer BUT it didn't say at WHAT TEMPERATURE and whether it needed covering or not – i.e. completely covered tightly in aluminium foil or just in a big dish with some foil loosely over?

New Year's Day just passed I started 'slow cooking', in the oven, 9 kilogram (20 lb) Beef Rump, at midnight set for 11 hours at 70°C (160°F).
It was fairly tightly sealed in an aluminium tray with foils tucked in under the side.

It was a disaster.

I plan to do it again New Year's Eve 2008.
Please help me do better.
Three answers:
allexgirl
2008-02-25 00:30:08 UTC
Beef Rump Roast is not going to work.Plan on spending some money if you want a good meal for yourself and friends.

No Salt Prime Rib

This recipe came from a chef at a large motel chain. It is very tasty.

The chef claims that salt retards the cooking of the meat and makes it

tough. Try it and you will agree!

1 4- to 6-pound prime rib

Granulated garlic

Thyme leaves

Coarsely ground black pepper

Sprinkle the roast generously with the granulated garlic. Next, coat

the roast with the pepper and thyme. Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 3/4 to

3 1/4 hours (depending on the size of the roast) for medium rare.

Serve with horseradish sauce,I use A'jus.

I cook mine at 250 over night.I have never covered it.

I like to add seasoned salt and onion salt or powder also...

Good Luck and have fun!!!
2016-04-11 13:52:18 UTC
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax2Tb

They are famous for their steaks. Apparently they are slow cooked for 18 hrs, then finish with high temperature on a grill. Could they be using an actual slow cooker for the 18 hr cooking? Slow cookers make meat really tender.
Mustang65
2008-02-25 00:15:52 UTC
Dunno how they cook their steaks but their entree dishes sure are pre-cooked and reheated in a microwave oven!